Touchy

This is for the topics you always wanted to talk about, but never had the nerve, or didn't want to cause controversy or confusion.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Did Jesus Really Die?


I know this is a controversial question, or statement to say the least. But what better place to ask the question than here? At least try and qualify the question. Don't get the cow by the tail, like many believers have done. Let me first say, "I love God as much as anyone else". This has nothing to do with some new age movement, or "The Da Vinci Code". So the question doesn't come from a rebellious spirit. I am not a heretic, as some might think. This is not blasphemous, it just requires some thought. As Christians we shouldn't label things as wrong, simply because we don't have the answer. I just want to know what the bible has to say exactly. Not what we want to hear, or have been told by others. If you haven't studied the word for yourself. You might not understand this. If you have a prior agenda, you won't like this either. This question isn't conducive to corporate worship. It doesn't fill the pews. When the people understand this, they'll understand some other things as well.Because it requires that you read. If this question shakes your faith. It was shaky to begin with. If it doesn't agree with your spirit. It only gives reason to proclaim your belief. The question isn't what you like, or what you think. I'm not really concerned with that. According to the written word, "did Jesus really die"?

The first thing we need to know is this. We don't receive salvation from Jesus, but his father God. We can only get to the father (God), through his son (Jesus). Jesus was crucified for our sins. As a means of reconciling ourselves with God. We as humans had gone off the deep end, we were out of control. Had it not been for Jesus, today we would be lost. I don't want to underscore the importance of Jesus. He is our deliverer. I don't want young believers to overlook God either. Romans 5:10 For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! That is so true, but don't forget his purpose. Why he was here to begin with. Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: He serves as our intercessor. Our lawyer of sorts. If we had to go straight to God. We would all fall short. Just like in the court system today. Only a fool has himself as a client, when he goes before a judge. Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Therefore God sent his son Jesus, he was our only chance. We couldn't do it ourselves. John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. In all fairness I had to post scripture with the word death in them. I can find as many or more that don't mention that word at all. Just because that's what you always heard doesn't make it right.

I've given you four scriptures to start with. To prove my point is bibical. I usually like to reference the old testament and the new. In this case we only need the new. Since that's when Jesus came into existence. If we only want to talk about the new testament, that's only half the story. God's word wasn't enough, so he sent his son. What about the old? The Old qualifies the new. There would be no need for one without the other. The crucifixion of Jesus marks a new beginning. Does it really signify death, or does it represent life? If we only want to deal with the new testament. Show me where Jesus was dead, by anyone's admission. If God is a spirit, and to a spirit Jesus will return. When he commended his spirit. What exactly took place?

When I posed this question. I received mixed responses. Some people understood, and knew exactly what I meant. Others admitted they had never thought about it that way. They didn't necessarily agree, but they didn't disagree either. All I am asking is that you read it yourself. Then tell me what you think. I'm not proclaiming some new doctrine. I just asked the question. I love my pastor and respect his opinion. But he is a man just like myself. Regardless how many people listen to him. His opinion does not supersede God's word. I must say I was disappointed, with the reaction he had. Even if he didn't agree, he shouldn't just write it off. The immature believer might not be ready to digest this meat, but the mature believer will. Do we not serve a living God? I know I certainly do. And I don't think he talks to a dead Jesus, or ever did for that matter.

If you look through the scripture you won't see where Jesus actually said he died. He doesn't even say he was going too. Of course that's what the Scribes and Pharisees wanted. But were they successful, in their plans? Instead of our faith being dependent on Jesus dying. I think it is sure, because he lives. John 8:51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. These are the words of Jesus himself. Does man have the ability to do something Jesus doesn't? Did Jesus himself see death?

All we know is, as per Jewish custom. They went to the tomb on the third day, to embalm him. And Jesus Christ wasn't there. Wouldn't God have been, at least smart enough to know? They would follow Jewish custom. God is all knowing. No one knows, how long he was there. He could have left the tomb immediately. Nobody bothered to look. I would even go along with the physical vs. Spiritual death. To say Jesus died, and he rose and leave it at that. Doesn't take much thinking. It provides for a quick sermon, and a quick plan for salvation. I think the crucifixion on the cross was symbolic. It marked the exit of the old, and the entrance of the new. I know this sounds contrary to all that you have been taught. I understand if you won't hear my explanation. Based on the premise in which the question was asked. The question at least, is deserving of contemplation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/div>