Touchy

This is for the topics you always wanted to talk about, but never had the nerve, or didn't want to cause controversy or confusion.

Monday, December 05, 2005

Idolizing Iniquity

Today I heard a young man wish a accused criminal good luck. Not God bless you, or I wish you the best. I know everyone doesn't share my faith. Still the callousness is alarming. He had no regard for whether the man was guilty or not. Just that he thought he wouldn't be convicted, even though we know he is guilty. He expects him to be set free, with an entrapment defense. After all they have him on camera, putting money in his pocket. Do we congratulate a killer, because he beat the charge? Because the caliber of the murder weapon was wrong, on the police report. When we saw him kill the victim with our own eyes. The young man made a statement, that knocked me off my feet. He said he wished this man was his stepfather, or his uncle. I still haven't figured out why he said stepfather and not father. Unless his father is even a bigger crook than this man. Based on what he said, I don't think that was the case. I took that unfortunately, as an indication of his mentality.I heard two things in that short conversation that troubled me. Are we raising our young people not to even expect a stable homelife. Is being dysfunctional, what we've come to accept. Do young people not even expect, to have a father in the home? Looking to their uncles and mothers friends, to fill in the gaps. We see the affects of this type of thinking everyday. Our young people making heroes of, at best shady characters. When I was growing up, I wanted to be like my father. I hope I have this same effect on my child. It makes you more aware of how you carry yourself. When you know someone is watching you.Are we just rolling the dice, when it comes to morality?Are we saying do anything, as long as you don't have to pay? Notice I said "pay" and not "get caught". People don't care about getting caught, as long as they don't go to jail. Time befitting of the crime. The two aren't always synonymous. Unfortunately justice temporarily has a price. If you don't get caught in the wash. It'll catch you in the rinse. I see some people that think being on paper, is something to brag about. That's why 201 Poplar has become like a revolving door for some. Paying for what, law abiding citizens are doing for free. Walking free on the city streets. I know it looks attractive to take the shortcuts. If those that have been there would tell the truth. They would admit you save time and heartache. When you do it right.Those are just a couple of things, I observed in regards to our youth. What's even worse. It's not just the young people. It's some older people too. In both cases, they're getting older with this way of thinking. The X generation have children themselves now. A younger generation with even less direction. I hope we can turn this mindset around. If we don't, we won't have much of a chance. Especially if like we think, the odds are against us now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A certain young man in another Blog needs to read this. I wish I was his mother. He wouldn't be able to sit down for a week.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Common said...

The Baptist ministerial association had a news confrence this past week, in regards to the "He" adoption case. They don't have a dog in that fight. It has nothing to do with the gospel they should be preaching. When Baptist ministers take up the cause of race, it alarms me. That attitude in the pulpit, is fueling this disrespect for authority.As Baptist ministers they should be subjected to Jesus Christ. Preachers attach their personal opinions to these established religious organizations, for notoriety. This needs to stop.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/div>